SCUP-45: How izzy+ links students’ love for social media to their university classrooms
Award-winning Dewey furniture and HÅG seating offer new classroom and third-space options for today’s higher ed students
SPRING LAKE, Mich. – July 13, 2010 – If they don’t roll, adjust up or down, or power your technology, your college desk and chair might be graduating to craigslist.org.
At a campus near you, the team from izzy+ is on a mission to replace yesterday’s classroom furniture with a brand-new option that focuses on people, not textbooks.
Taking the same elements of human interaction that Gen Y enjoys about social media – networking, collaborating and sharing – the design team from izzy+ is embedding these concepts into traditional and learning spaces at major colleges and universities. This new wave of products is answering the call from people who expect and want to work and learn in flexible, easy-to-push-the-chairs-and-tables-together settings.
“The goal is to stretch people’s minds about how we now use common areas and cafes as well as what is considered the traditional classroom,” says Rick Glasser, vice president, marketing and product management for furniture and seating expert izzy+. “New technologies have completely changed the way people learn and interact. So what can we do to help create greater student and professor engagement?”
Exhibit at SCUP-45
That’s why izzy+ is taking its case to the SCUP-45 conference in Minneapolis, July 10-14, 2010 – to reach architects, facility planners, technology officers and other decision makers focused on critical issues in today’s world of higher education. The exhibit of izzy+ products at SCUP-45 includes:
- Dewey from Fixtures Furniture: Collection of tables, mobile lecterns, height-adjustable teacher’s Helpdesk with plug-in power and media ports, media cabinets and bookshelves. 2009 Best of NeoCon Gold Award, Education Solutions. Designed by JRuiter Studio
- Dewey from Fixtures Furniture: New 6-top table for team collaboration. 2010 Best of NeoCon Gold Award, Education Solutions. Designed by JRuiter Studio and Chuck Saylor of izzy+
- HÅG seating: Designed to help people move more regularly and naturally in their seats for all those "sit still" places—schools, universities, libraries, cafes, meeting rooms, hotels, and conference halls.
- Fetch chairs from Fixtures Furniture: Practical stacker has built-in handholds for easy lifting.
- Hannah chairs from izzy: Hannah's human-centered design means that it does more than just look good. Its waterfall back serves double-duty as an armrest.
Research shows impact of technology
From coast to coast in the U.S., and in cities around the world, izzy+ has been conducting research – visiting universities and colleges and talking to students, faculty and facility managers about how to design learning spaces for today's students.
The findings show the tremendous impact of technology on how people access information and communicate, on or off campus. Lightweight tables and mobile chairs are beginning to replace rows of static lecture hall chairs and tablet arms. And the Socratic method of learning has morphed the teacher-to-student classroom into collaborative learning that’s more peer-to-peer. Aha! moment: More learning happens outside the classroom than inside.
Classrooms of the future
Leaders at colleges and universities across North America are choosing new products from izzy+ that help inspire the design of new learning environments. Projects are underway at several locations, including:
- Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, Georgia
- Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Austin, Texas
- Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia
The people at izzy+ (www.izzyplus.com) design, manufacture and market office furniture and seating that help designers create inspiring spaces for Learning, Working, Living and Healing. You can find these award-winning products under the brand names izzy, HÅG, Harter, Fixtures Furniture, Zoom Seating and ABCO Office Furniture. Based in Spring Lake, Mich., U.S., izzy+ is a business of JSJ Corporation of Grand Haven, Michigan.
Bruce Buursma | 616.502.9834 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Allison Roon | 616.935.3072 | email@example.com